My littles just love farm animals. We don’t live on a farm so it’s fun for them to learn about the farm and play pretend at home. These books help to teach toddlers about farm life and these toys help to foster a love for pretend play on the farm.
My Top 10 Farm Books
- Big Red Barn is a great book that illustrates well what a barn looks like, the big and little animals, and just gives toddlers a great example of what farm life looks like. This is one of our favorites and on our Christmas list to buy!
- Little Blue Truck is such a classic farm book! I love that it helps to teach all the sounds the farm animals make. But my favorite part is that this book teaches the concept of helping one another.
- Barnyard Dance! is a cute, engaging book for toddlers because of the rhyming and literally the beat you can sing this to as you read.
- And to go right along with singing books, Old MacDonald Had a Farm is such a classic but so great! There is something about all those catchy kids songs that children just love! If your child struggles to sit still to read books, I highly recommend this sing-a-long as well as many other classic sing-a-long books.
- Giggle, Giggle, Quack is a funny book about the farm animals getting into some trouble. To be completely honest, I read this quite a few times to my little3years and little2years and I’m still not sure they got the humor of the book but I thought it was so funny. They still really enjoyed this one though!
- This Usborne Lift and Look Tractors book takes you all around the farm. My littles love looking under all the flaps and also enjoy looking for the chicken on each page.
- Another Usborne book we really enjoy is Baby Animals Flap Book My littles again love looking under the flaps and finding all the baby animals. The illustrations in this book are great as well!
- First Farm Words is a great book that can be adapted in so many ways depending on the child and age. At first, I just point to words and tell my toddler what the word is. Then, when they are a little older, I might say “Where is…” and have them point to the word. Then finally, as they master vocabulary, I can point and say “what is that?” and they can tell me!
- Baby at the Farm is fantastic for a toddler that doesn’t like to sit long. It is engaging because it has flaps and touch-and-feel items.
- If your little love all things farm, they will love this Goodnight Tractor book. This is from the goodnight series and is a great book to read at bedtime to “put the tractor” and all the other things to bed as well.
My Top 5 Farm Toys
1. John Deere Animal Sounds Hayride is the perfect gift for the little who would love to haul the animals all around on their very own tractor.
2. John Deere Push ‘N’ Roll Vehicle is another engaging tractor toy that helps develop fine motor skills when pushing down on the top to make the tractor move. My littles enjoy racing this across the room!
3. This Animals Farm Playset is perfect for pretend play. I love that it has so many engaging little activities to do (ring the bell, open and close gates, turn the mill, etc.) We don’t actually own this but it is a Christmas wishlist item!
4. Looking to develop better fine motor skills in your toddler? A Animals Farm Playset would be perfect! My littles love this puzzle because it makes noise when they get it in the spot it belongs.
5. Finally, these Farm Friend Hand Puppets would be perfect to use as you read a farm book, sing Old McDonald together, or put on a farm play! Hope these books and toys inspire some wonderful play moments with your little.
Hope these books and toys inspire some wonderful play moments with your little.